Portfolio Investment in Shares/Debentures of Indian Companies and in Domestic Mutual Funds
Portfolio investments in shares/debentures by NRIs/OCBs are permitted only through designated branches of authorized dealers, preferably located at centers having stock exchanges. Authorized dealers should inform the names of such branches to Central Office of Reserve Bank and obtain approval. The Code number allotted by Reserve Bank should be quoted in all correspondence undertaken with Reserve Bank in this regard. Non-resident investors can also authorize Indian residents or stock exchange brokers as their agents in India to purchase/sell shares on their behalf under the schemes but all transactions should be routed through the designated branch of authorized dealer.
General Conditions for Purchase with Repatriation or Non-Repatriation rights:
1) NRIs/OCBs will be permitted to make portfolio investment in shares/debentures (convertible and non-convertible) of Indian companies, with or without repatriation benefits provided the purchase is made through a stock exchange and also through designated branch of an authorized dealer. NRIs/OCBs are required to designate only one branch authorized by Reserve Bank for this purpose.
2) Investment in equity shares and convertible debentures will be permitted subject to an overall ceiling of (a) 10 per cent of the total paid-up equity capital of the company concerned; and (b) 10 per cent of the total paid-up value of each series of the convertible debentures issued by the company concerned for all NRIs/OCBs taken together both on repatriation and on non-repatriation basis.
3) The purchase of shares and debentures under the scheme is required to be made at the ruling market price.
4) NRIs / OCBs intending to invest on non-repatriation basis should submit their applications in Form NRI / NRC respectively, through a designated branch of an authorized dealer, to Reserve Bank (Central Office). Reserve Bank will grant general permission to the concerned authorized dealer to purchase shares/debentures of Indian companies, securities (other than bearer securities) of the Central or any State Government and Treasury Bills on behalf of the NRI/OCB subject to the condition that the payment for such investment is received through inward remittance or from the investor's NRE/FCNR/NRO/NRSR account.
5) The general permission granted by Reserve Bank would be initially valid for a period of five years. Authorized dealers may themselves renew the permission granted by Reserve Bank to individual NRIs as well as OCBs for a period of five years at a time.
6) NRIs and OCBs intending to invest with repatriation benefits should submit their applications through a designated branch of an authorized dealer in Form RPI / RPC respectively.
7) Reserve Bank will grant general permission to the designated branch for purchase of shares/debentures of Indian companies, securities (other than bearer securities) of the Central or any State Government and Treasury Bills,subject to the conditions that the payment is received through an inward remittance in foreign exchange or by debit to the investor's NRE/FCNR account.
8) Investment made by any single NRI/OCB investor in equity/preference shares and convertible debentures of any listed Indian company should not exceed 5% of its total paid-up equity or preference capital or 5% of the total paid-up value of each series of convertible debentures issued by it and NRIs/OCBs take delivery of the shares/convertible debentures purchased and give delivery of the shares/convertible debentures sold under the Scheme
9) The general permission granted by Reserve Bank will be valid initially for a period of five years. Authorized dealers may themselves renew the permission granted by Reserve Bank to individual NRIs as well as OCBs for a further period of five years at a time. Authorized dealers may note to obtain the latest OAC/OAC 1 certificate from the OCB concerned before renewing the permission.